Thursday, February 03, 2005

'Ugliness is Better Than Beauty' -- Johnny Depp

Easy for him to say!

The past two days have been kind of rainy and cloudy...but at least its about 65 degrees! Check out the cloudiness::



Diamond Head

That is the view of Diamond Head from our hallway at school. Everything is kind of airy and outside, except the actual classrooms. It's a lot like ISKL or ISB.

Yesterday I ventured out to try and find a store called Hawaiian Adventures to buy a Nalgene bottle. It was supposed to be about 2 miles from my apartment, but it was nowhere to be found! So I gave up and went to Wal-Mart and bought some WD-40 and a mug. WD-40 because my bike chains are squeaking like crazy, and a mug because I drink lots of hot chocolate. I had to be ID-ed to buy the WD-40. That is so strange...I mean, where is the logic?? How is being 18-years-old instead of 16 or 17 going to make you less likely to get high off WD-40? And who ever decided to get high off it anyway?

I totally digress. Anyway, so I then went to Daiei, a grocery store near where I go to church. Someone had mentioned that it is cheaper than Foodland, where I usually shop, so I decided to go and see...It was. But it was funny, because it is very clearly a Japanese store...there were like 3 other Mainlanders in there. I tried to pretend like I knew what I was doing, so I walked straight back....to the frozen Asian foods section. I look around and there's all this Japanese writing and food like frozen squid and noodles. Everyone was looking at me like "Honey, you don't belong here." I picked at a few things, still pretending like I knew what I was doing. Really, I was thinking, "What the heck is that??"

Then, I looked over and spotted some Hagen-Daz and Ben and Jerry's and I was like "Yes! I recognize that!"

Kat called me while I was shopping, so I didn't pay much attention to what I was buying, so I ended up buying three cans of garbanzo beans...hmmm. On the way home, I ended up getting hopelessly lost for a long time. I had a heavy backpack filled with canned goods and I was exhausted. So I when I finally saw my apartment (granted, a fence, highway and a street all lay between me and my apartment - but still...) I was so relieved!

I got another care package today! My grandma is so sweet. She sent me an Easter egg decorating kit!! (So, Kat, get excited!!) And some cash. Much needed.

Lately, I have been reminiscing about the past and missing it! Like last year on 6 Adele...I love those girls so much. Cory, my old roommate, is going to be transferring and that makes me so sad. We had such a great time in good ol' 621! Talking about boys at all hours, watching American Idol like fanatics, spilling hot chocolate ALL over our gorgeous zebra carpet, TLC 24/7, having the coolest room ever, crying together, laughing constantly, and Cory singing. What good times. Cory Greer Scanlon, I'll miss you!!

It's sad how all the good times and good memories in your life cannot coexist. I mean, being roommates with Cory was so fun, but if I were still her roommate, I wouldn't be Kat's! And we wouldn't have grown closer...It's the conundrum of reality. And it requires us to stop living in the past. Life won't always be trading in one good experience for another, though. Most of my life, everything has been amazing and wonderful. Seriously, I am the most blessed person ever. My worries have revolved around all my blessings. The magnitude of how blessed I am totally cancels out my worries or my problems.

I worry about my future. I am so blessed to have a choice! To be in school!
I miss my family. How blessed I am to have such a family worth missing!
I worry about our country. How blessed we are to be comfortable enough to concern ourselves with that!

Honestly, I can't think of any legitimate worries in my own life. Of course, that is scary. Because I don't want to become spoiled by all this goodness. Job loved God when God was good to him...

Bad news. My mom emailed me and said that my family won't be able to come here for their spring break. I was very very disappointed. It's has been kind of hard being at school without ever having my family visit, so I was excited that I would finally get that. The ticket prices rose, though, and they just can't do it. Boo!

Well, I have to get going to bed. Sorry if this post is too all over the place or hard to follow. I am too tired to try and make it clear.


I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form
of an object be what it may - light, shade, and
perspective will always make it beautiful
- John Constable

No comments: