Sunday, January 30, 2005

Let Me Be the One You Need

I could try not to make you guys jealous and say that Hawai'i isn't really all that great. That it's just like Dayton with a little more sunshine and a beach. But I'm not gonna lie, it's great! Even just being able to leave at 12am and go find stuff to do is awesome. And the fact that I can wear shorts and t-shirt at night in January and not freeze...well, that's amazing, too! I know I probably sound like a little kid in a candy store, constantly marveling at all this.

Alright, so let's talk about what I did today. Camping Club! Chaminade Camping Club is basically a guy, Sam, who drives us around the island and teaches us about the Hawaiian culture and history in a big van with lots of people. Sam...where do I start? As Shannon says "He's part monkey...or part wolf...but he has such a good heart!" He is from Detroit and Hawaii...a weird combination. He loves his rap a lot, I wish you guys could see him dancing while driving the van! He also loves the ocean like no one I've ever seen. He could spend all day with his body board and flippers, fighting against the huge waves. He doesn't walk anywhere, he just runs. It's fun to watch him enjoy everything so much. By the way: he totally can't drive. I fear my life when he drives.

Anyway, today we went to Waimea Bay on the North Shore of Hawai'i, which is known for its HUGE waves...as it's website says:

But during the Winter - watch out - even the most experienced of water persons and surfers think twice before entering the waters or even going near the shore break when the swells are large and fast and deadly.

It was crazy! The lifeguards kept announcing warnings about keeping children away from the coastline, because the riptide was so powerful. The waves were probably like 15 feet tall. Just really big! There weren't many surfers because it was really dangerous since it stormed this morning. It was cloudy when we first got to the beach, but it cleared up and we got to enjoy some sun.

We didn't go in the water (except Sam, of course!). But we were standing like knee-deep with a few friends, joking about how I was too little to be in the water. Then, it all happened so fast - a big wave came and just totally knocked me off my feet, then it was dragging me back into the ocean. Luckily, Mark was right there. He grabbed my arm, keeping me from getting dragged back into the ocean. However, the wave also took my bathing suit off!! I won't go into details...It was a little embarassing, but more scary! I seriously would have been shark food if it weren't for Mark.

In other news...I wish I could be there to be with Kat right now (my UD roommate, in case you don't know me. but if you're reading this and you don't know me, that's a little weird.) To help her and cheer her up and hug her...I was listening to Phish today, and this song "If I Could" really reminded me of her, how I feel helpless being all the way over here, but I just want her to be happy!!.

Take me to another place, she said
Take me to another time
Run with me across the oceans
Float me on a silver cloud

If I could I would, but I don't know how
If I could I would, but I don't know how
If I could I would and I'd take you now


Shout out to:
Mark - for saving my life.

1 comment:

Kat said...

Ashley, thank you so much for being the best friend that I have ever had. I'm sorry I freaked you out. I love you and I can't wait to come enjoy hawaii with you, even if only for a week! but i'd prefer if we don't drown in any scary waves! hehe! have a happy sunday and pray for me and I for you! God bless!