Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Catching Up on My Life in Honolulu

I decided to start an online journal to update everyone about my adventures and life here in Honolulu, Hawai'i! I've been here for about 2 and 1/2 weeks - and it has been really great! I live in an apartment off-campus (but it's through the University) with 3 roommates - one from Alabama (Shannon from UD!), one from California, and one from Illinois. I get along well with them and we laugh a lot! :) We have a kitchen in our apartment, which I am just loving! I cook a lot - made French toast for breakfast this morning - yum!!

We live in the inner city, pretty ghetto. It's cool though, we are learning to be independent! The other night Brian (Shannon's boyfriend) and I were up at 2:30 am watching the police break up a fight outside our apartment. Yikes! That wouldn't really happen in good ol' VWK! I bought a bike the first week I was here, and it's been amazing!! I ride to school, church, beach, library, gym, and the mall! All us UD kids got bikes, so we are cool together. I figure it's cheaper than buses and taxis (or gas, which is $2.30 per gallon here!), and it gives me exercise!! We even ride wearing skirts - 2 Fridays ago, Shan and I rode to Hard Rock Cafe while everyone else took a taxi; and last Friday, Shan, Marissa, and I all rode in our skirts to Date Street to go out to a club! It's always an adventure!

My classes aren't bad - I'm taking Astronomy (and its lab), Intro to Communications (fulfills my com modules), Philosophy and History of Education (really like that class - awesome teacher!), Environmental Science and its lab (soooo good!), and Statistics. The nice thing is classes are supposed to be easier here (they are so far!) and also, my grades won't transfer - it's pass/fail. Nice, eh?

The weather is great, of course. It's been between 70 and 85 degrees, sometimes it dips down to 65 at night, and we get cold. Ha. Don't kill me. The scenery is also gorgeous - mountains on one side and the ocean on the other. It's so cool that we are one little city in the middle of a HUGE ocean. It means the stars are great at night!

In other news, recently I've been surrounded by people who are grieving lately, and it makes me sad. I only hope that I can be there to listen to them and comfort them...and be whatever they need me to be! All this talk of people dying because of cancer or car accidents or suicide just really makes me scared of the fragility of life...It is such a risk to care deeply about someone, because any minute - they could be taken away. At the same time, it makes me cautiously grateful for what I have. And also makes me want to never take for granted that people know how I feel about them. I am so thankful for the friends and family that the Lord has so graciously given me, and I am surrounded by such amazing people who inspire me to be a better person. I want you all know how much you mean to me... Thank you, I love you guys!

No comments: