Monday, March 26, 2007

Is Senioritis Curable?

Because I'm really beginning to think it's not. And it worsens with time. There is a positive correlation between temperature and senioritis. As the temperature increases (and sunshine!) senioritis and un-productivity increases. Anyway, I think I'm just trying to pacify my guilt.

Now let me just say, when I used to write about Hawaii - my life was exciting! I'd go hiking, skydiving, swimming, to the beach, party in super nice houses... This weekend? Was DULL. Now, granted, I was pretty sick Saturday and much of Sunday. I slept most of Saturday, minus watching The Holiday - a pretty well written romantic comedy. But I must admit, I am increasing aware, and subsequently quite annoyed, of the cheesiness of Hollywood romance. As a child and teenager, I used to figure that love was actually that perfect once you found Mr. Right. However, real-life relationship experience has taught me that there is no magical relationship and there is no magical place where everyone finds someone and falls in love. Not to be cynical or overly realistic - but I think we're setting innumerous women up for disappointment and the inability to sustain a healthy relationship. Women, and some hopelessly romantic men, are being disillusioned to think that when the right one comes along, it will all work out.

And that's what bugs me about Hollywood romantic movies. I know, I know - I take it too seriously, I need to learn to suspend reality, blah blah blah. It's just that I've seen women I love hurt because of these lies. That's all!

On to lesser things - Mass was fantastic yesterday - complete with all the wonderful characters I've come to love at Immaculate Conception. I have not gone to a Sunday campus mass in well over a year. It seems to me that it's so much richer a sacrament experienced in the presence of families, of young children, of older folks -- the rainbow of God is beautiful! (Corny, I know.) Satish said something that really tugged at me and fit in perfectly with a lot of the discussions I've been having lately:

"
To the extent that we participate in any of these evils we act contrary to the will of God. To the extent that we become passive bystanders we shirk our responsibility to truly value the God given dignity of each person."

Passively participating is not a good option. There is so much on mind -- particularly a conversation we had with my roommate's friend who is a soldier just returned from Iraq. It didn't exactly give me much confidence or make me feel better about the future of our country or...okay, that's all I'm going to say.

I sat next to a 38-year vetern teacher in Mass last night. 38 years! I cannot imagine doing ANYTHING that long. Amazing. We talked about the importance of caring for your students and how affection goes a long way in affecting a child's life. Honestly, I cannot imagine a day without children. I cannot imagine not being surrounded by children for the rest of my life. Their honesty, their love, their humor, their vulnerability...my entire life I've been drawn to care for children. Whether it was in 5th grade, when I created a "preschool" for neighborhood toddlers (somehow, parents actually paid me!? and i actually researched for lesson plans!) or babysitting since I was 12, I have been inexplicably drawn to children. I don't know what it is - but I feel really called. Maybe it's just to being a mother - maybe to being an educator - maybe to being an advocate. But I feel the nudge. :)

No comments: